Remedies And Treatments
Around the world, a lot of people suffer from oral health issues due to different reasons. According to the World Health Organization, “oral diseases are caused by a range of modifiable risk factors, including sugar consumption, tobacco use, alcohol use and poor hygiene, and their underlying social and commercial determinants”.
Oral health is a major concern among the medical community and it is something that affects all age groups and that can develop into more complicated conditions and lower the immune system, increasing the risks of becoming ill.
In this article, we share some excellent gum home remedies and treatments for those who are struggling with slight gum pain, swelling, or redness. People who have advanced oral health issues can also use this article as a guide for keeping their gums as healthy as possible while keeping in mind the consequences of periodontitis.
Why Do Gums Hurt?
Before introducing the remedies and treatment, let’s go through some key information about why you might be suffering from gum pain.
If you happen to suffer from hurting gums, there may be a few reasons why this happens. It can be an occasional pain that later goes away and doesn’t mean something is wrong, or it can become a consistent hurt that stops you from enjoying your day and your food.
Not only should you pay attention to where and how much your gums hurt, but you should also check if they bleed, swell or become redder. When this happens, this is a sign of an underlying issue developing, so you should waste no time and schedule an appointment with your dentist.
The reason behind your gums hurting involves build-up plaque that hasn’t been properly cleaned and overgrown “bad” bacteria that is attaching to your gums. This begins to progress into a condition called gingivitis, which can be reversed, but if it’s not treated it can develop into periodontitis, which doesn’t have a cure and the damage caused cannot be reversed.
Home Remedies For Hurting/Swelling Gums
Swollen gums are common and don’t necessarily mean that you’re developing a serious condition. It is uncomfortable and painful for some people, which is why we gathered the best home remedies for this type of pain.
- Rinse with saltwater. Mix one tablespoon of salt and 8 ounces of warm water and rinse your mouth for around 30 seconds. before spitting it out. Do this twice or thrice until the swelling goes away.
- Cold and warm compresses. Hold a warm cloth in the area where it hurts the most, for about 5 minutes. Then, grab a bag of crushed ice and apply it in the same place as before for the same amount of time. Repeat a few times and the whole cycle various times a day to relieve the pain.
- Essential oil rinse. Various studies concluded that essential oils can help with gum pain. Simply mix a few drops of essential oil (preferably thyme or tea tree) with 8 ounces of warm water and rinse your mouth for 30 seconds. Spit it out and repeat twice a day until the swelling goes away.
Apart from trying out any of the following remedies, we advise you to schedule an appointment with your dentist if the pain and swelling continue for two or more weeks.
If you want store-bought remedies that aren’t medications, the following products will come in handy. We investigated the best mouthwashes, toothpaste, floss, and toothbrushes for gum pain, swelling, and redness that you can easily acquire without having to spend too much money.
Effective Mouthwashes For Gums
Mouthwashes specifically designed for gingivitis (gum disease) and periodontitis are great for decreasing the swelling and putting a stop to the pain in your gums. If you’re suffering from moderate to intense pain, you should stay away from mouthwashes that contain alcohol since they can make things a bit more painful for you.
It is important to choose an antibacterial mouthwash to eliminate bacteria and help clean your mouth, teeth, and gums properly.
We selected the top mouthwashes for gums, and they are:
- Listerine Cool Mint Antiseptic Mouthwash. This mouthwash is germ-killing and an excellent choice to fight bad breath and build-up plaque. By using it at least twice a day you can decrease your chances of developing gingivitis by 52%, according to studies done by the company.
It offers 24-hour germ protection that, accompanied by brushing and flossing daily, creates a powerful barrier against bacteria. Further, this gum mouthwash can last up to two months. Simply rinse for around 30 seconds, recommended in the morning and at night, and enjoy a refreshing and clean breath.
- Crest Pro-Health Advanced Mouthwash, Alcohol Free. Ideal for sensitive teeth and gums, Crest’s mouthwash is alcohol-free and presents an extra-whitening formula that is great for eliminating food leftovers, bacteria, build-up tartar, and more while safely whitening your teeth.
It helps prevent cavities and works wonders for eliminating bad breath. It has been proven to help to have stronger teeth over time. It is recommended for adults and children over 12 years old; to be used twice or more times a day.
- TheraBreath Fresh Breath Dentist Formulated Oral Rinse. If you suffer from bad breath you should consider this top-rated mouthwash. It targets bacteria that produce bad breath and has been clinically tested and approved. It also helps stop the sour, bitter, and metallic tastes in your mouth.
Perfect for getting rid of tartar and food leftovers that get stuck in your gums and teeth. Its affordable price for two units will allow you to acquire an efficient product that will last a long time.
Gum-repair kinds of toothpaste are very effective for the early stages of gingivitis when the condition can be stopped and managed on time. Even if you have not developed gingivitis but have occasional gum bleeding, the following products can help you stop the bleeding and sensibility in both your gums and teeth.
We chose the top three most effective gum-repair tubes of toothpaste, and here they are:
- Parodontax Active Gum Repair Whitening Toothpaste for Bleeding Gums. Parodontax offers an incredible anticavity and antigingivitis gum toothpaste that helps reduce bleeding gums while gradually whitening your teeth. This can be achieved due to the mouthwashes’ ability to kill bacteria located in the gum line, and it also works great in helping reverse early signs of gum damage.
The formula of this mouthwash has been proven to help decrease gingivitis and gum pain. Switching your regular toothpaste for this one for around two weeks can show impressive results.
- Colgate Sensitive Whitening Toothpaste. Colgate’s toothpaste for sensitive teeth and gums has been proven to relieve pain just after a very short period of using it. It provides complete protection against sensitivity if used at least twice a day, and it helps repair tooth strength.
The whitening factor looks after the damaged tooth enamel by safely removing surface stains. It also freshens your breath with a touch of mint paste that is present in the formula.
- Sensodyne Sensitivity & Gum Whitening Toothpaste. One of the go-to recommendations made by dentists is Sendodyne’s toothpaste for sensitivity and gums. It builds strong protection against certain factors that affect sensitivity such as temperature and touch if used daily (twice a day, minimum).
It also works great at whitening your teeth and eliminating bacteria that damage your gums.
Top Floss & Picks For Gums
Flossing plays a key role in helping your gums stay healthy and recover from damage, in specific cases. The act of flossing stimulates your gums, allowing blood flow to increase and reach the upper sections of your gums. This helps bring more oxygen to the area, boosting the gum’s tissue immune response while at the same time, carrying away all toxins, waste, and bacteria.
After carefully researching, we came across the best floss and picks that can help your gums. These are:
- Oral-B Glide Pro-Health Dental Floss. This floss contains a light coating of natural wax to improve your grip and have strong but gentle movements. It has been clinically proven to remove plaque and slide easily between tight teeth without damaging them.
It safely removes all food leftovers and bacteria found in the gaps of your teeth while providing you with a fresh breath and taste.
- GUM Comfort Slide Flossers for Tight Spaces. For those who want to keep their teeth cleaned at all times, this is the perfect tool for you. The slide flosser presents an F-shaped handle that provides excellent support and control that allows you to clean between your teeth and the back of them too.
It safely cleans between your teeth and massages your gums while lubricating them at the same time.
- DenTek Triple Clean Advanced Clean Floss. DenTek’s excellent floss picks scrub between tight teeth and stimulates gums. They are textured and are great for removing plaque and food. It also cleans your tongue and eliminates bad breath while leaving your mouth with a minty flavor.
Presents advanced fluoride coating (each pick) to help brighten your teeth and can be acquired at an affordable price.
Best Brushes For Gums
Your toothbrush can make a huge difference in the health of your gums and teeth. Using one that is too old can cause damage and one that is too strong can hurt your teeth and can cause sensibility. Experts recommend going for a soft-bristled toothbrush with an easy-to-grip handle so you can properly brush your teeth and remove all food bits, plaque and bacteria without causing any harm.
In our selection of the best brushes for gums, we found the following products:
- Colgate Gum Health Extra Soft Toothbrush for Sensitive Gums. Colgate offers a super soft toothbrush, excellent for sensitive gums, that has deep-clean bristles for keeping your gums healthy. The bristles are gentle and softly clean between your teeth and your gums without hurting them.
- Colgate Renewal Manual Toothbrushes for Gums. Top-class toothbrush with extra soft bristles and floss tips that softly massage and reenergize gums. This brush does not take the place of flossing because the bristles wrap around each tooth to provide a thorough clean along the gum line.
The high foaming action is produced by a full adult toothbrush head and super soft bristles for a feeling of deep cleaning. The unique handle has a tight grip, is comfortable to hold, and is rubberized for ease of handling.
- Philips Sonicare Genuine G2 Optimal Gum Health Toothbrush Heads. If you have an electric toothbrush, this set of heads for gum sensitivity will come in handy. They are perfect for removing plaque and bacteria from between your teeth and present in your gums while softly massaging the area to increase blood flow.
Make sure to not apply too much pressure since electric toothbrushes can damage your teeth if they are used with too much strength.
Keeping Your Gums Healthy Final Words
In this article, we shared key information about why your gums may be hurting and excellent treatments you can implement at home to keep them healthy. It is essential that you establish a quality oral care routine that involves brushing, flossing, and using a mouthwash all twice a day, minimum.
If your gums hurt, swell, or bleed for more than two weeks, schedule an appointment with your dentists since it may be an indicator of an underlying condition that needs quick treatment before turning into something else and irreversible.
We hope this article gives you an idea of what to look for according to your needs and budget. All items are clinically proven and government-approved, so they’re safe for you to use daily.